Malachi is the last book of the Old Testament and is a book of Prophetic Oracle. It is a post-exilic book, meaning it was written after the return from captivity in Babylon. The prophet Malachi wrote it approximately 430 B.C. Key personalities include Malachi and the priests. The purpose of this book is that Malachi wrote to ensure that the hearts of the Jews was right and that they were keeping God first in their lives.
• In chapters 1-3, Malachi identified the sins of the Jews, including their priests.
He prophesied that God would send a messenger to prepare the way (this is John the Baptist), “Behold, I am going to send My messenger, and he will clear the way before Me. And the Lord, whom you seek, will suddenly come to His temple; and the messenger of the covenant, in whom you delight, behold, He is coming," says the LORD of hosts” (3:1). Finally, he addressed the topic of tithes and offering and that God is stolen from when people disobey it.
• In chapter 4, the last chapter of the Old Testament, Malachi addressed, “the great and terrible day of the Lord” (vs. 5). He teaches about the coming judgment when God will set them ablaze in His holy anger. He also gives hope to the faithful with the Book of Remembrance. Those who do the will of God and are righteous will be spared.
Malachi, the last book of the Bible, ends very differently than it began in the book of Genesis. Let us compare them:
Genesis 1:1, “In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.” This was a beautiful and perfect relationship with God.
Malachi 4:6, “He will restore the hearts of the fathers to their children and the hearts of the children to their fathers, so that I will not come and smite the land with a curse.”
Consider the large contrast between the very first verse and the very last verse. Afterward, consider that “the sin of mankind” made all the difference. The Old Testament begins with the magnificent power of God’s creation and ends with fear and separation from God and in need of a Savior. The Old Testament closes with a sad dreary clunk...
Summaries Courtesy of the Ultimate Bible Summary Collection
- Are breast implants a good investment
- Was D Pharm better than biotechnology
- What does Tamoxifen do
- What is gypsy punk
- Is it possible to change email address
- Looking for a idea for Python project
- Why is Kean University a good school
- What is top down integration testing
- What motivated you to do an MBA
- Should I study law in United Kingdom
- Why does China have their great firewall
- How do you stay organized?no_redirect=1
- Why do I hate the United States
- Is raw milk safe for children
- How do you say gift in Hebrew
- How can I eat more spinach